PROS AND CONS OF EXTENSIONS
Should your head have them?
As with everything in life, there are pros and cons to getting extensions. Extensions are growing in popularity ever year. 1 out of every 10 women has some type of hair extension! Isn’t that crazy? If you are still struggling with whether or not extensions are right for you, Here are my top 10 reasons that just might convince you to take the jump and get that amazing hair your have always wanted!
- Extensions can make your damaged fried hair look healthy and amazing. Extensions, if applied correctly, can cover up a lot of “bad looking” hair from underneath and make it appear to be in good condition. This also allows for your hair to get a break from all the daily wear and tear from heat, environment, etc.
- Extensions can allow you to escape from the short haircut while allowing your hair to grow out in the process of wearing extensions.
- You have the ability to get the celebrity look without waiting months to achieve it. You can lengthen your hair without the horrible in between stages of the growing out process.
- Adds awesome volume to fine, thin hair.
- Extensions hold curl very well. When you fix your hair with extensions, if will actually STAY fixed that way without falling or looking frizzy in just a short while.
- This is a huge one, They can make you look younger. If you and your stylist pick the right length for your face and body shape, it can drastically change how old you look.
- They are great for those that just cannot grow long hair. If you have fine, thin hair then you have the perfect hair for extensions!
- Extensions are great for trying new styles without cutting or growing your own hair. You have a lot more freedom to experiment when you have extensions.
- It can be cost effective. If you bypass the cheap alternatives and opt for the outstanding quality of real hair extensions, you will be investing in your new look for a long time to come. No one will know you’ve got extensions unless you choose to tell them. If you opt for the top quality real hair extensions you can get the best possible look.
MYTH: Hair Extensions damage your hair
FACT: When hair extensions are applied properly there is virtually no reason why they would damage your hair, and to this end thousands of women have used extensions to grow their own hair to a desired length with no adverse effects whatsoever.
However, that is not to say everybody’s hair is suitable for extensions. At Hair by Adelle I take the safety of your hair very seriously and take every reasonable precaution to ascertain the suitability of your hair before commencing with salon-applied hair extensions. This includes a free consultation as well as complimentary check up appointments while you are wearing the extensions.
Whether or not you are wearing hair extensions, everybody experiences hair shedding. This is entirely natural. If you should ever count them, you will notice on your hairbrush, whether you wear hair extensions or not, that you shed between 70 to 100 hairs a day – adding up to around 3,000 hairs a month or 36,000 a year. It seems a lot but on average we have at least 100,000 to 150,000 hairs on our heads alone, so this rate of growth and renewal is entirely normal.
MYTH: You have to give your hair a break in between having hair extensions
FACT: If hair extensions are properly applied and removed, your hair will remain undamaged, and so there is no need to take a break between different hair extension applications. Most people prefer to have their extensions maintainedevery 6-8 week to avoid having to remove them all and replace them all at once. During this maintenance I move the extensions around so they do not continue to put too much strain on any single strand of hair.
MYTH: You can’t swim wearing hair extensions
FACT: Your new hair will look as fabulous wet as it does dry, and the extension joins will not show in water. You can shower, swim and go out in the wind and rain without having to worry.
MYTH: You can’t have extensions in if your hair is fine
FACT: In fact, many women with fine hair choose to use hair extensions to add extra volume. Extensions can be done as fine as a few strands of hair to be virtually undetectable and if they are done properly with test extensions done beforehand, there is virtually no chance of any damage to the hair.
MYTH: You can’t brush and style easily with hair extensions
FACT: As long as you use the brush I give you,such as soft bristle hair brushes like Mason and Pearson or Isinis, then you can brush right into and through the roots with no damage to your hair or the extensions. You can also use straightening irons and curling tongs all through the hair so long as you are careful to avoid the bonds.
MYTH: People can tell when you are wearing hair extensions
FACT: When they are done properly, placed in the right places and expertly put in, hair extensions look completely like your own hair, and are undetectable
MYTH: You can’t use steam rooms while wearing hair extensions
FACT: It is fine to use a steam room while wearing your hair extensions. However, just like when you are exercising at the gym, when your scalp gets hot and begins to sweat, your roots can begin to get greasy. When that happens, it is advisable to wash your hair very soon afterwards to ensure the best care for your hair extensions.
Following this advice, there should be no issues at all from using a steam rooms while you have hair extensions.
MYTH: Hair extensions hurt when you are wearing them
FACT: For most people there is no discomfort at all which is why millions of people enjoy wearing hair extensions. However, there will always be a few people who have exceptionally sensitive scalps, which is why it is always advisable to have a consultation prior to your appointment to go over any sensitivities.
SARAH'S FAVORITE PRODUCTS
What products can you not live without?
Don't want to over process your hair by washing and drying daily? Here is my best kept secret – Moroccanoil® Dry Shampoo. With ultra-fine oil-absorbing rice starch, this product removes buildup and odor leaving hair instantly clean and refreshed. Its UV-protecting, argan oil-infused formula breaks down instantly, leaving no dull residue while maintaining the natural tone of your hair. You can't go wrong here!
My secret "afternoon pick-me-up!" No need to reapply from the morning, just massage your scalp to refresh your hair! Energize hair instantly with this one-of-a-kind, superfine, silky powder that delivers va-va-voom volume and all-day texture while prolonging hair color. Great for spot styling and piecing. It's the texture, lift and control you've been looking for. Achieve volume at the root or spot volume for a "piecey" look.
Fast-track to instant fullness! Moroccanoil® Thickening Lotion strengthens hair with quinoa proteins and thickens each individual strand for instant expansion and long-lasting body. This unique hair lotion is formulated with a blend of vitamins and argan oil that moisturizes for touchable, shiny hair without stickiness. Just run through hair after shampoo and watch the results!